Sifu Wayne Risner has explored, and is proficient in many areas of the Martial Arts in the last 20+ years. His current rankings are:
- Blue Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Hal Faulkner
- Brown Belts in Judo and traditional Jiu-Jitsu under Willy Cahill
- 1st Degree Black Belt in Shaolin Karate under Charles Mattera
- 2nd Degree Black Belt in Kenpo Karate under Grand Master Rick Alemany
- Full Instructor in Jeet Kune Do and Filipino Martial Arts under Paul Vunak
Sifu Risner’s teachings have brought him to Boise, Idaho, where he currently gives private lessons. Previously, he was in the Bay Area, where he worked out of one of the busiest schools in the nation, United Studios of Self Defense, and eventually bought his own school called Tiger Bear Karate. It was here, through careful research and application, Sifu was able to hone his skills to a much better understanding of what was practical, and what was just merely filler material.
Sifu Risner has been very fortunate to have trained personally with the best instructors in the world, in their respective arts. Below is a list of some of them:
- Sifu William “The Mongoose” Holland (1957-2010) – Sifu Holland is widely regarded as a Jeet Kun Do legend, and a highly sought after instructor with a long history of athletic and training accomplishments. As one of the few people who have trained with over 10 of Bruce Lee’s original students, he was one of the foremost authorities Jeet Kune Do, and founder of the International Jeet Kune Do Alliance.
- Grandmaster Rick Alemany – Grandmaster Rick Alemany has been training and teaching since 1962, establishing himself as a champion in the tournament circuit of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. He has earned high rankings in Kenpo Karate, Jiu-jitsu, and Arnis (filipino stick fighting). His expertise further includes Wing Chun, Tai chi, and Shorin-Ryu.
- Coach Willy Cahill – Willy’s father, Professor John Cahill Sr., a respected instructor in the Kodenkan System of Jiu-jitsu, founded Cahill’s Judo Academy in 1948. When Professor Cahill passed away in 1962, Willy built a dojo in California in 1963 in his father’s honor. Since the beginning, the Cahills have produced nearly 1000 National and International medal winners. Inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame as Judo Instructor of the Year, Willy has also served as coach to Stanford University, the U.S. Team for the Pan American Games, the World Championships, and the Olympics.
- Sifu Hal Faulkner – Beginning his martial arts training in 1964, Sifu Faulkner is a senior Instructor in Jeet Kune Do. First learning Shotokan Karate and Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu, in 1975 Hal was introduced to Jeet Kune Do by Larry Hartsell, one of Bruce Lee’s top students. In 1976 Hal relocated to Southern California to begin training under the tutelage of Dan Inosanto and Richard Bustillo. In 1984 he began to study Gracie Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and was one of the first non-Brazilians to have received a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.
- Reylson Gracie Academy – The Gracie family is world famous for their effective style of ground fighting. Grandmaster Reylson Gracie is the son of Carlos Gracie, co-founder of Gracie Jiu-jitsu, and started training under his father when he was four years old, and is a 9th degree red and black belt, as certified by his family’s Federation of Jiu-jitsu.
- Sigung Paul Vunak – Rated by Black Belt Magazine as one of the “20 Toughest Men on Planet Earth”, Vunak is a world-renowned, hand-to-hand combat instructor of Navy Seals, Air Force, ARMY & Marine Corp, US Marshals, SWAT and a highly sought after personal instructor in street-fighting. Paul is an innovator in the art of Jeet Kune Do, known for his simple, yet highly devastating street applications of the art. He was a top instructor under Guro Dan Inosanto for over 30 years, and is one of the first people to train Gracie Jiu-jitsu in America.
- Chris Kent Institute – Sifu Risner’s most recent instructor, Chris Kent, is widely acknowledged as one of the world’s foremost authorities on Jeet Kune Do, and is considered one of the few individuals in the world having total comprehension of all facets of Lee’s martial art. With over 37 years of experience, he studied with and assisted Guro Dan Inosanto for over 13 years, and is one of the most sought after instructors on Jeet Kune Do and its applications. He is also a highly respected instructor of the Filipino Martial Arts known as Kali – Escrima- Arnis, and holds rankings in the French kickboxing sport of Boxe Francaise/Savate.
- Chris “The Westside Strangler” Brennan – Risner trained with Chris at his school in California. Brennan has fought for UFC, Pride, King of the Cage and Shooto. He was two-time “King of the Cage Middleweight Champion” and one of 18 fighters to compete in the -77 kg division at the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships in 2005. Chris was also the founder of Nogi Industries, a Mixed Martial Arts clothing company.